I’m a big believer in the power of setting goals and it wouldn’t be January if I weren’t thinking about what I want the year to look like. I posted some of my goals 12 days ago on my freelance writer website and one of them was to enter four short story contests this year. Believe it or not I’ve entered two already!
But in terms of “Shades of Teale” I think it would be interesting to set a direction now and see where I end up. I’m a newbie at this novel-promotion business and I have no idea at this point how realistic my intentions are. But it will be fun to see how things turn out. So here goes:
1. “Shades of Teale” tells the story of a woman’s journey through an increasingly unhappy marriage to a better sense of her own strength on the other side. Unfortunately, the story is one many women (and certainly many men as well) know to be part of the truth of our world. One of my goals is to connect with national and international women’s organizations to explore ways of using my novel to help women in distressing situations move into happier lives.
2. Develop a set of meditation cards and bring them to market as a means of supporting my message of hope, particularly for people trapped in bitter domestic situations.
3. Welcome the “Shades of Teale” e-book to the world.
4. Sell out the original press run and create enough demand for a huge reprint.
5. Do at least three virtual book tours.
And that’s about it. Coupled with my work as a freelance corporate communications writer, and my ongoing work towards my MA degree in English, I’m going to be busy this year. But I’m a very methodical person and a lucky one, as well, so I’m hopeful that all will go according to plan.
What are your writing-related goals for the year? I’d love to hear what you’re doing to make 2012 the best year yet!